Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

1. An interesting occupation that keeps my mind busy


In my post "what is happiness" i made a list of things that I consider important for being a happy woman. Here I want to take a closer look at the first point on the list.

fixing a surfboard before redesigning it

1. An interesting occupation that keeps my mind busy

 

What kind of thing could that be? Well my experience in life shows me, that the crucial thing about that is: It's not only one thing. I'm a person who is easily bored by routine and repetition, I want to have a healthy mix of different activities that are still all rooted in the same idea or belong to the same striving.

Let's check out all these activities. Lately I was quite dedicated to feminism. There are different forms of feminism, but I mean something deeply anthropological that is in your body and in your mind. For me that was manifested in playing football for an NGO that works for female rights in Arabic countries.
Also I started picking up all these sports that I find kind of cool: Started with snowboarding and football, then surfing and skateboarding. I discovered a lot of things on the way. In almost every sport scene there is a little feminist department growing just now. I discovered the
Cooler Magazine (boardsports for women), I discovered the Lipstick Productions (a team of pro snowboarder women making movies), I discovered Suck my Trucks (a skateboarding workshop for women) and many other things on the way.


my selfmade Longboard at Tempelhof Berlin

Another type of work that keeps me happy was a seminar in the Technical University of Berlin: The so called Energie-Seminar. The features of that occupation were the following:

Groups of 30 people worked on one project, the 30 people were divided in smaler expert groups and worked on individual tasks. The expert groups regularly presented their work to each other and evaluated and inspired each other. In each small group the work was also distributed in a way that each person of the group was an expert for her own topic of interest. All the projects of the seminar where about sustainability and green progress. It was so inspiring and interdisciplinary! Another good thing about that seminar was the fact that we ourselves were the ones to define our own tasks. We planned our own projects and set our own goals. That was so empowering and motivating!

I will keep looking for that kind of inspiring and productive environments to blossom with all my interests and talents.

 

What were your best experiences with things that kept you happily occupied in a productive way? Please share your experiences with us!


No comments:

Post a Comment